American Legion Riders of District 10 host first ever chili cook-off to raise money for veterans and their families

Worker+stirs+up+chili+to+serve+to+veterans+at+American+Legion+Riders+first+ever+chili+cook-off.+
Worker stirs up chili to serve to veterans at American Legion Riders first ever chili cook-off.

The American Legion Riders of District 10 hosted their first ever chili cook-off Saturday to raise money for Veterans and their families. The Legion Riders raised over $1,000 to go towards the Legacy Scholarship Fund, which assists children of veterans in paying for college, and Camp American Legion.

Fifteen types of chili were cooked up for the event and guest could purchase a bowl for $5 or get five sample cups at $1 a piece. The chili was made by members of the Legion Riders, a group that works to better the lives of veterans.

Veterans such as Ed Laventure, a Vietnam War Veteran who attended the cook-off with his daughter. Laventure said that event’s like these are nice for veterans struggling with medical issues as they are often times overlooked.

This first-time event also had raffle drawings where, for a small donation, guests could be entered to win anything from a homemade quilt to cash prizes. Event MC, Kelly Powers said that the event was considered successful for it’s first go around, and that they hope to make it an annual thing for many years to come.