Food trucks in the Chippewa Valley follow national trend

Events like Food Truck Friday, Country Jam feature local food trucks

Back to Article
Back to Article

An attendee eats cheese curds outside of The Hubb at Food Truck Friday.

©2019 Emilee Wentland

©2019 Emilee Wentland

©2019 Emilee Wentland

When locals from the Chippewa Valley venture to nearby events, there’s almost always something around to munch on, thanks to the growing trend of food trucks in the area. These trucks serve as a means for providing meals on the go without having the location limitations of a standard brick-and-mortar store.

Food trucks give community members and festival attendees a reason to eat local, go outside and meet new people, said Kessia Neuberg, the marketing, communication and events coordinator for Silver Spring Foods — a sauce company based in Eau Claire. She said this was a contributing factor to their rise in popularity.

This growing trend of food trucks in the Eau Claire area is not unlike the rest of the country. In fact, the nation’s food trucks brought in $2.7 billion in 2017, according to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, up from 2014’s $650 million. The same report found that food trucks are active in more than 300 U.S. cities.

Neuberg said Eau Claire and its surrounding communities have become a great location for someone to own and operate their own food truck.

“Eau Claire has a mixed feel of the small town and almost a small metropolitan vibe,” Neuberg said. “Everyone comes together at these events (where there are food trucks).”

Such events include Food Truck Friday, a monthly lunch and dinner event hosted by Volume One and Silver Spring Foods outside Royal Credit Union and Phoenix Park. Food Truck Friday is a monthly event that began last summer and continued until October, and started up again this month.

At this month’s event, Silver Spring’s food truck joined the likes of Holy Donuts, which makes a variety of flavors of tiny doughnuts; The HUBB, which features fish tacos as well as fried macaroni and cheese and fried avocado; and iPierogi, which serves traditional Polish cuisine, among others.

Neuberg said Silver Spring’s food truck isn’t a traditional one, as the company typically partners with other restaurants or food trucks to pair their mustards, horseradish or other sauces with the food. At Food Truck Friday, Silver Spring is teaming up with Chip Magnet Salsa and Rump’s Butcher Shoppe.

Another local food truck is Rosy’s Texas Outpost, which serves tacos, burritos, “super” tacos and “super” burritos, taco salads, and chips and cheese. Of these menu items, Vivian Maland of Rosy’s said, their most popular is “hands down” the super burritos and fiesta chips.

Maland said about two decades ago, her husband, Len Maland, purchased Rosy’s, which at the time was a concession stand. Len converted the stand into a food trailer to accommodate consumers’ changing lifestyles, Vivian said.

“Len had a vision and we made it happen,” she said.

Vivian referred to the Chippewa Valley as an “excellent place” to own and operate a food truck.

“They are in great demand right now with all the community events and festivals,” Vivian said.

Rosy’s parks for festivals like Country Fest and Rock Fest, both located in Cadott, Wisconsin. For these events only, Vivian said they feature their “loaded tots” on the menu.

In the summer months, Vivian described the business as “busy.”

“Not a day goes by that we are not thinking about what needs to be done,” she said, “or working on getting ready for the next event.”