UW-Eau Claire Black and Multicultural Hair and Skin Care Drive

UW-Eau Claire student organizations set up hair and skin care drive for the community

Delaney Reed (She/Her)

More stories from Delaney Reed

SUBMITTED

A donation box for Black and multicultural hair and skin care products found in the Multicultural Affairs office.

To celebrate Black History Month, two student organizations at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire put on their annual Black and Multicultural Hair and Skin Care drive.

According to student intern Saba Seyoum, this is the fourth year that the Black and Multicultural Hair and Skin Care drive has taken place at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. Two Black-led student organizations pair together to host this drive during Black History Month.

“The drive is put on by the African Student Association and the Black Student Alliance,” said Ana Dolny. Dolny is also a student intern who works in the Office of Multicultural Affairs at UW-Eau Claire.

According to the OMA website, the African Student Association was started in 2012 to represent the African student population on campus. The Black Student Alliance’s goal is to create a welcoming environment for all students, but also to improve the overall experience for African American students on campus. 

Throughout February, a donation box could be found inside of the Multicultural Affairs Office in Centennial Hall at UW-Eau Claire. 

“We collect hair and skin care products that are Black and African-owned,” said Seyoum.

Some of the products that were inside the donation box were Shea Moisture, Cantu and Palmers. Products that are for curly hair were also accepted but those that were already opened or used were not.  

According to Seyoum, the products they receive from the drive are donated to those in need around Eau Claire or those who cannot always afford these products.

“The products go to either students in the African Student Association, the Black Student Alliance, Campus Closet, or the Boys and Girls Club,” Seyoum said.

The African Student Association, Black Student Alliance and Campus Closet are all organizations at UW-Eau Claire. Campus Closet is a program where students can find gently used business clothing and now Black and Multicultural hair and skin care products. According to Campus Closet, they want students to succeed, one way of helping them to succeed is by providing interview clothing. 

The Boys and Girls Club provides youth from second grade to age 18 with different programs based on good academics or a good lifestyle. According to the mission of the Boys and Girls club, they inspire and enable the youth, especially those that need us most, to reach their full potential as productive, responsible and caring citizens. 

According to the OMA website, the drive is a way for those of another culture to get access to the hair and skin care products they need.

The motivation behind the drive “is to provide products for Black African children to be more comfortable with their hair structure,” Seyoum said.

Reed can be reached at [email protected]